Help spread the word about Meghann Foster for Coralville City Council by writing a letter to the editor. Here’s how you can get you started.
Where to Submit Your Letter
The Gazette: 250 or fewer for letters (400-1,500 for columns). Letters must be received by Tuesday, October 31st.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Letters, The Gazette
500 3rd Ave., SE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52401
Press-Citizen: 200 or fewer for letters (650 or fewer for columns). Letters must be received by Monday, October 16th.
Email email@example.com. No option to send letters by postal mail.
Little Village: 500 words or less.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the word "letter" or "letter to the editor" in the subject line. No option to send letters by postal mail.
REMINDER: Include your full name, address and daytime phone number.
Many in our community have already submitted letters to the editor on behalf of Meghann's campaign. It might be helpful in writing your own letter to view some sample letters from others.
General Tips for Letter Writing
- Clearly state your endorsement of Meghann Foster for Coralville City Council. Include how long you’ve known Meghann and in what capacity. Note specific accomplishments and abilities that make her a prime candidate for endorsement. Make one or two main points. For details on Meghann's priorities, check out the issues page here on the website.
- Focus on your own opinions. Include sources if applicable.
- Use plain language, spelling out acronyms and explaining any specialized jargon.
- Offer suggestions for direct action (“mark your calendar for the November 7th election"). Include dates and times.
- Conclude your letter by summarizing the reasons for your endorsement and by restating your endorsement of Meghann Foster for Coralville City Council.
- The more succinct you are able to be, the more likely your letter is to be published.
Thank you for your help!